Friday, January 28, 2011

Book recommendation

During my studies in the UK I have had to write a monstrous thing named a dissertation. It was hell. It was a little fun at times too, but it was more of a struggle than anything else. Not being familiar with the rules and methods for writing in the UK I felt sooo lost. I had no idea what to do at all. My teachers recommended i get a hold of some books to guide me along the road towards a finished thesis.

The first one which I did end up buying was "Writing your dissertation" by Derek Swetnam and Ruth Swetnam.  And boy did it save my life. It uses a simple language and explains the process of writing a dissertation from beginning to end. How to find a subject, create a title, manage time, write an introduction and so on. It is also very inexpensive, 7£ or something like that.


The other book is how to write a thesis. I haven't really read it but it was a recommended read, and should not be ruled out. It is a little pricier, but it won't force you to scrape the bottom of your wallet either.

Hopefully someone can find this useful. If you understand Norwegian I have written more on the subject of writing a dissertation on my Norwegian blog. ( http://anitao.blogg.no) or you can ask me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer it for you.

until next time
Anita Night

No comments:

Post a Comment