Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The progression of Poe

Yeah, so I've been struggling alon with my Uni Projects. Most of my work has turned out as I wanted it to, but the one book cover in my Final Major Project that will not give me a flippin' brak is the Edgar Allan Poe book I chose to illustrate. It has taken forever to get to a stage where I don't want to gouge my eyes out when I look at the illustrations. I have made so many versions of this book cover that I have actually lost count. Although I think I might begetting somewhere now.

Fig 1: The very first attempt at the cover. It looks like a children's book, and Poe is not really appropriate for children. I don't want to send out the wrong message.


Fig 2: This was the second idea I had, but which I can't use because it was really just a doodle and consists mostly of borrowed images from the web slapped together with som textures I had lying around.


Fig 3:Next I tried painting a cover instead with acrylics. It didn't turn out as I wanted to but I gave it a go.


Fig 4:Another cover based on the painting, It's looking better now, closer to what I was imagining, but I', still not completely happy with it, and neither were the teachers so that solved the matter. Moving on.


Fig 5:So I went to pencil drawings, which apparently is something I do well (or so I've been told). And it's looking better now. A bit old fashioned and sketchy. Still I am not happy, and at this point I got close to giving the whole thing up.


Fig 6: So to keep me from going insane I did a 180 turn and tried something completely different. A modernized take on Poe with fresh colors contrasting with the black dark and gloomy literature that Poe is so well known for. I think that by giving the book a more modern and fresh feel it will appeal to younger people and make them interested in reading Tales and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe.


Soooo, what's your opinion?

Until next time,
Anita Night

No comments:

Post a Comment