Sunday, October 23, 2011

The returning predicament of time management..

Yes it is a returning problem. I fear it will be an ever present factor that will irk me to no end.
I started working part time three weeks ago, thinking that I would only be working two days a week, maybe three, but due to the fact that one of my co-workers just became a baby daddy and had to take time off I am feeling like I applied for a full time job instead of a part time job.

It won't last forever, it's only for two weeks, but having found myself in this tricky situation I find myself pondering the mere fact of how easy it is to become lost in what is supposed to be a part time job and forgetting or just not being able to find the time to do my illustration work.

Because I am aware of the problem I can nip it in the bud, and avoid ending up like a lot of students who take up part-time jobs to pay their bills while they struggle to break into the industry. Often it seems like a steady paycheck lures artists away from professional full-time illustration work, and it's kind of sad. I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I'm going through that problem right now and I have to say that I get why people often drown in their part time jobs. Your boss might ask you to work some extra shifts and it is all too easy to say yes because you keep thinking that you need the money. You can't be blamed for doing just that, but it's only a short term solution. It may not pay of right away, but in the long run it might actually be more prudent to turn down some of those extra shifts and focus on your illustration practice or classes or your homework(if you are still in school). That is what I intend to do, as much as possible at least. Because in the end I have to prioritize my dream and not my part time job, no matter how good of a job it is.

I realize that this was a rather lengthy post, but I felt like I needed to get it out of my system. If anyone has any comments or thoughts about the subject feel free to comment as always.

and last but not least here is a little sketch from our first drink and draw session:





Until next time
Anita Night

2 comments:

  1. Good to see one of us is nipping the bud:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, trying to at least. Not sure how well I'm doing just yet :p

    ReplyDelete