Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hulder - My first ImagineFX challenge entry!



So I just finished my entry for the ImagineFX weekly challenge number 290 yesterday. The deadline is today and I'm very excited to see the line-up. There are some pretty spectacular entries this week. This was my first time entering one of their challenges so I was a little nervous about my skill level. I wasn't sure whether I could hold my own, but I think I did pretty well.

The brief was to make a mock cover for the magazine featuring a creature design where the head and the shoulders of the creature had to be visible on the page.
I chose to draw a mythical creature from Norwegian folklore. It's called a Hulder. It's a creature from the underworld who takes the shape of a beautiful young woman and lures men into the underworld or deep into the forests where they can lie with them and then kill them if they are not satisfied. A Hulder usually has a tail similar to that of a cow or a fox depending on where in Scandinavia you live, or she can have a hollow back, much like an old hollow log.

Now that you have been duly briefed on Norwegian folklore, here is my entry for this weeks challenge.
The top one is the mock cover featuring the ImaginFX logo (which I claim no ownership of, it's there strictly for challenge purposes) And the bottom image is the original illustration without all the noise.

Image (c) Anita K. Olsen 





Image (c) Anita K. Olsen


Until next time
Anita K. Olsen

website:
www.anitaolsen.daportfolio.com

contact:
anitaolsen.illustration@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment