Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dracula poster

This was just a mini assignment. sort of a workshop. The entire class had to watch Bram Stokers Dracula, directed by Francis ford Coppola. The movie is made in a very special way. There are no modern special effects in it, which makes it a very unique movie.

We were supposed to take something from this movie that we thought was interesteing and crucial for the story. I chose the portrait of Mina that Dracula found on Jonathan Harkers desk when Jonathan Harker is visiting him in Transylvania.

In the movie Dracula spills ink on the picture and it flows over the picture frame. I decided to spill blood on the frame instead. It just emphasizes that Dracula is a vampire, and a killer. The fangs I put around Mina in the picture frame was put there to symbolize that Mina is kind of a victim of Dracula, as well as being a willing subject.


This was my first attempt at the pictre in acrylic paint on canvas, but our teacher thought that it was to comfortable for me to work with this medium and asked me step outside of my comfort zone.



So I did, and this was the result. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would.


No comments:

Post a Comment