Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Grimm Tales Challenge Entry

Double update today it seems. The Art order is currently hosting a challenge around the classc Brothers Grimm fairy tales. Basically, participants were asked to find a Grimm story and to illustrate a scene from that story.

From what I've seen so far it seems like a lot of people went for "Little red riding hood" or "Little red cap" as I think it's called originally. I don't blame them. It is by far one of the most well known and beloved stories. I was tempted to do the same thing myself, but I chose to do a bit of research and I went with a different story after reading some stories.

I chose the tale of "Brother and Sister". It tells the story of an older brother and his sister who are running away from home because of their mean step mother. The Stepmother follows them and curses all the drinking water they find (for no other reason than being mean it seems). Anyway, if the siblings drink the water they would be turned into wild animals. After passing two water sources without drinking the brother couldn't wait any longer and at the third river he drank before his sister could stop him and so he turned into a Roebuck.

It is the scene right after he has turned into a Roe that have chosen to illustrate. The siblings are crying over their ill fortune, and the girl has put her golden garter around the Roe's neck.

Here is my sketching process:











I didn't really have much time to finish this in since I have a lot of illustration work to do on my other projects, but at least I was able to enter it in the challenge. I'm looking forward to see the other entries :)

Until next time
Anita Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment