Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Challenge your literary self in 2013!

)Oh books, I just love them!
I don't know what it is about them...or well, yeah I do. Books are generally made of pure awesome. The feel and smell of paper and ink is just magical, not to mention the magic that one can find within the books, all the stories they tell, the unknown worlds they transport you to.

I can remember sitting in my mothers kitchen when I was about sixteen, reading one of the Harry Potter books. It was winter and completely dark outside. I had turned of all the electric lights and was reading "Harry Potter and the goblet of fire" by the light of a lonely candle (tottally recommended btw, there is no experience like reading about magic by candle light). At that point in time I was a very insecure teenager, with a history of being bullied and feeling lonely behind me. It was all fresh in memory however. My saviors were books and art. Ever since I was a kid I used my beloved books to escape the real world. When I read my Fantasy books I forgot about my troubles and for a couple of hours I felt like a hero in an epic saga. I didn't feel lonely as long as I had a book propped open in front of me.

Part of my beloved bookshelf  ^^


Now I'm an "adult"...I don't really feel much like a proper adult- Except for when I get bills in the mail and my heart slams on the breaks and momentarily stops. I would much rather stay a whimsy kid with a chunky book in one hand and a sketching pad in the other, but no such luck (damn you Peter Pan for tempting me with impossible dreams). Instead I've settled for the next best thing, I am now a whimsy adult with a chunky book in my messenger bag and a drawing tablet hooked up to my computer! I could be worse off ;)

This year I am dedicated to celebrating my love of books, and therefore I have set myself the goal of reading at least 15 books this year. I'm already at a good start so I might have to adjust that number up but for now 15 is the magic number. To keep track I've opened an account on Goodreads.com which allows me to make reading lists, track my progress and discover new wonderful books to read in the future. I urge you all to figuratively "run" and do the same!

So far my reading list looks like this:

1. The Hobbit by Tolkien - a re-read, still good, but not as good as I remembered.
2. A Clash of kings(Song of Ice and Fire book 2) by George R.R. Martin - Loving it!
3. The confidante by Hélène Grémillon - Absolutely hated it! Piece of sh#@ garbage...
4. The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams - So much fun!
5. In bed with a highlander by Maya Banks - Not really for me, so won't be reading more in this series, but some ok smutty bits in there though ;)
6. Boneshaker by Cherie Priest - Just started it and liking it so far.
7. A storm of swords by George R.R. Martin - yet to start
8. A feast of crows by  George R.R. Martin - yet to start
9. A dance with dragons by  George R.R. Martin - yet to start
10. undecided
11 undecided
12. undecided
13. undecided
14. undecided
15. undecided

I have yet to decide what the books 10 - 15 on my list should be, but I have a bundle of titles in mind, and two book clubs that I'm following have a book every month that I can opt to read as well. I'm so looking forward to delving into the rest of this little project!

I hope you guys may feel inspired to do a reading challenge as well! If you want to you can friend me on goodreads and we can track each others process, I'm also a member of the Sword and Laser book club and the Vaginal Fantasy Book club which is free for everyone to join.

This is my Goodreads.com profile:
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/14191207-anita

Until next time
Anita K. Olsen Støbakk.


No comments:

Post a Comment