Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Advanced Individual D&D Project, part 2 - Moodboards

I have recieved a lot of wonderful art briefs to work with thanks to Jon Schindehette, the art director over at WotC. He has been really helpful and I still can't believe how lucky I've been. So a big thank you is in order.

Putting that aside, I wanted to talk about my progress. I have not done a lot as of yet, but the little I have done I believe to be important. Before one can start a creative process one has to figure out where one is going. So A nifty thing that I usually do (this is what they tell you to do in Norway on the illustration course) is that I create a moodboard.

What is a Moodboard?
A moodboard is a simple but effective tool. It is almost like a mind map, but with images instead of words. In a moodboard you paste in pictures of colours you want to use, environments, people, costumes, notes or whatever will inspire you and help you to figure out what it really is you're going for. You should of course never copy what you use in your moodboard into your art. It is strictly for inspirational and personal use only. I'm posting one of mine beneath this text to give you an idea of what I mean.


I've written some quick notes on what the artwork should contain, added pictures from the 4th edition Monster manual for reference purposes, and then I've added some race description illustrations from the 4th edition Players Handbook, mixed in with some ethnic or traditional clothing and  and faces. I still need to add some pictures to describe the environment so it's not quite finished, but I believe you get the gist of it.

Until next time, have a good one(whatever a good one might be)

Anita Night



No comments:

Post a Comment