Saturday, October 30, 2010

Advanced Individual D&D Project, part 4- cover sketching

Ok, so it's taken a while to get to a point where there is actually possible to show relevant progress, but I'm getting there now. I have been sketching on one of the cover design briefs that Jon gave me Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears oh my).

He did tell me that I should change the pov's in my compositions and I am currently doing just that, but not on this specific illustration. I decided to keep the point of view simple here, because there is so much that is going to happen all at once and I'd rather focus on getting the interaction between the heroes and the goblins looking convincing than fiddling around with perspective. I'm doing some more exciting stuff on the Shadar - Kai Warlock brief and some of the other pieces instead.

So I've done some environment sketches and some character sketches, separately to begin with, and then I have composited them together in photoshop. This way it is easier to change up the sketch in case I'm not happy with placement or scale. So far this is what I have:

fig 1: initial background sketch.

Fig.2: Reworked it a little bit, simplified it. 

Fig.3: Resized it a bit and started placing out characters. Right now this is the best composition I've come up with, but I think I'll change it up a bit when I add more Bugbears and Hobgoblins.

Fig.4: I started coloring the background, it's getting somewhere. it's still not finished by any means, but as an overall image I think I might be pleased with it in the end. 

As soon as I have more to show I will post it. I have been working on some sketches for some of the other illustrations and I am looking forward to working some more. It's hard work, and it takes a whole lot of time, but I'm honestly loving it. ^^

Until next time

Anita Night