Thursday, May 24, 2012

There are butterflies in my stomach

Not literally of course. But it sure feels like I either have an army of butterflies or a really large seagull flapping around in there.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had finally decided to start focusing on writing as well as illustration. I made a promise to myself and I made a promise to you my dear followers. I was going to finish my children's book manuscript and hand it in to a publisher.

Guess what? I did. Today, this very day. I attended the weekly editors corner at Cappelen Damms bookstore Halvbroren, which is held every Thursday. Editors from different departments who are ready to talk to you about your book idea and receive manuscripts are at the scene for an hour. I walked in there nervous as hell. I kid you not I was so nervous I was even trembling a little. That says a lot considering it's like 26 degrees celsius in Oslo right now. I came early because I didn't know whether there would be a long line or lots of people, but there was only me and one other girl. Imagine that.

I sat there waiting in the bookstore for about 20 minutes, I had to buy a smoothie from the little coffee shop next door to cool down, and to have something to focus on besides being anxious. It happens every time I do something big or meet someone who might be important to my future career. I sweat and I shake and my stomach clenches up. I think it's because I care so much about what I do. I really want to make an impression on the world. I want people to love my art, I want little kids to read my books and cherish the memories of them when they grow up like I cherish the books I read when I was little.

Anyway, the editor arrives, my number is called and I meet and greet with him. We talk briefly about the story and the fact that it was originally my grandmother that made it up, I've just put some finishing touches here and there and edited it. We spoke a little bit about my education and then he took my manuscript and said that in about 6 weeks time they would let me know what they thought about it.

I'm a bit in shock right now. I can't believe I did it, but I did. I handed in my very first manuscript. Yay!
Of course I will let you know how it all goes. In the meantime here is a little snack from an upcoming image:


(c) Anita K. Olsen



Until next time
Anita K. Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment